AC or DC Motor as Generator

Winding the coils and making the stator

AC or DC Motor as Generator

Postby mobile on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 am

Hi all

I am doing some research before I start my project. I will not be building a generator but will be taking advantage of current technology.

Fact DC
Using DC motors to generate electricity requires inverters to convert to AC and to make a AC sinewave however the cheaper inverters do not create a true sinewaves so you cannot inject this AC directly into your DB board unless you buy a very expensive inverter which can range from R3000 up to R15000 and more

Fact AC
Using a car alternator you can produce a pure sinewave which theoreticaly can be injected directly into your DB board however the rpm's required to use an alternator is extreamly high from what I have read.

Now my questions

1 What is better? A DC motor or an AC motor. " I believe that DC would be better.
2 What are the best ? DC motors to use eg, wheel chair motor,
3 What are the best ? ACmotors to use eg, weed eater motor, car alternater

As children growing up we had little cars with a weighted balanced wheel. rubbing the cards wheels would generate energy in this wheel and when you put the car on the ground it would drive for some distance before stopping.

Can we not apply this theory to the wind turbine? I know that it would make it difficult for the wind to start it up however would it not assist the turbine in keeping a constant speed under low wind conditions. Just an idea. What do you guys think
mobile

Re: AC or DC Motor as Generator

Postby windgat on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:09 pm

My 2c:
Forget AC motors, unless you rectify to DC.
You want a low RPM high power motor with minimal cogging. Eg. perhaps something like a 24V 400rpm motor

Inertia (momentum) does not help at all. I can't see any point in, for e.g. adding weights to the blades. You want power from a turbine generator, not momentum, so when using DC and batteries, keeping a constant speed has no advantage.
windgat
Founding member

Postby mobile on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:28 am

Hi windgat

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if anybody has tried this with weights at the tips of the blades?

Would it not also help for torque then?

I think I am going to look into wheel chair motors as they are 24v and are low rpms or even treadmill motors.
mobile

Postby windgat on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:31 pm

I know of one person who was talking about weighting the blades. He has been very quiet since then. The physics of doing that makes no sense to me.

Sounds good, as long as they are really low RPM, and not just geared down to be low RPM.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Whadda on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi, does anybody know where in S.A one can buy a permanent magnet DC motor to charge deep cycle batteries. I have read extensivley on this great forum and saw somebody used a treadmill motor (did find people servicing treadmills and as soon as I explain my use, they disappear) also wheelchair motors and the same happened.

Thanks
Whadda

Postby windgat on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Whadda. A lack of success going down that path is what led me to make my own coils and magnet plates...
windgat
Founding member

Postby Whadda on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Dankie Windgat, let's day I am somewhat constrained in the diy department. Got hold of 1 or 2 sources in the meantime, but pricey.

Loop mooi.
Whadda

Postby windgat on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:42 am

Please keep us informed of what you find...
windgat
Founding member

Postby Whadda on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Windgat, have you perhaps had time to look at my Starwars machine under General? Would you buy it for R1000 and can I rewire the burnt wire section or will I have to redo the whole thing?

THANKS!
Whadda

Postby windgat on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:49 pm

See my reply to that post...
windgat
Founding member

Postby L1508 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 pm

DC definitief daar is beskikbaar 24 Volt baie lae R.P.M. ( 64 ) lae amps is wat jy nodig.Lukas

[DC definitely. There are 24V very low R.P.M. (64) low amps ones available. Low amps is what you need]
L1508

Return to Stators and coils