Using switched mode regulators

Wiring, circuits, batteries etc.

Using switched mode regulators

Postby justLV on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Has anyone considered using switched mode regulators instead of a shunt regulator topology for regulating the voltage? Advantages would involve the ability to step up voltage, or step-down voltage without the need for power dissipation. When bucking (reducing voltage) this would also limit the average current in the stator, resulting in less stator heating. Otherwise I'm not sure if there are any other advantages - as I suppose wind energy is free...
justLV
Contributor

I am currently building a wind turbine: Yes

Re: Using switched mode regulators

Postby windgat on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Sounds like a great idea... if I understand what you are saying, that is.

It would be great to even have a device with a dial that you could use to set the input voltage, i.e. the voltage at which current is drawn from the generator. The output voltage would then stay at about say 28V (on a 24V system), although it would drift lower as current is drawn.
windgat
Founding member

Postby justLV on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 pm

You could setup the DC-DC converter in feedback mode, so that if the generated voltage varies, the duty cycle can be changed, so that a constant output voltage is achieved. You may still have to add a shunt regulator on the generator side, to prevent the turbine spinning too fast.

(As a general explanation, DC-DC converters use pulse width modulation i.e. switching between on and off states at a a duty cycle, to vary the average voltage supplied. See http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2031 for a good explanation)
justLV
Contributor

I am currently building a wind turbine: Yes

Postby windgat on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:23 am

How efficient is such a circuit? Could you design one?
windgat
Founding member

Return to Electrics and controls