SUPPLIERS WIND POWER GENERATOR

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

SUPPLIERS WIND POWER GENERATOR

Postby Jeannette Unite on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 am

Where can I buy one and how much? please email me as I am interested

Can anyone build one of the wind energy systems for me and how much would it cost?

I saw the wind turbines in the harbour near Copenhagen which were beautiful and less offensive noise wise than a car motor.

I am hoping to build a studio outside Cape Town where I can fire glass (ceramic) kilns and I would like renewable energy on the site

thanks
Jeannette@artunite.com
Jeannette Unite

Re: SUPPLIERS WIND POWER GENERATOR

Postby windgat on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:12 am

Hi Jeanette. Kilns usually need a very large amount of energy. Do you know the wattage of the kiln, and for how many hours in a day you will run it? Perhaps you are better off using gas if you don't want to be Es-skom dependant, as I don't think wind (or solar) will give you enough energy.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Jeannette Unite on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:21 am

hI Peter
Am not sure Wattage but it is 3 phase and one needs to control temperatures acutely for different stages of glass firing and very very important is the annealing in which I use a combination of extra insulation and cooling steps -gas isnt always an homogenous burn I would imagine
also one works with a electric computerised controller so it would just be too time consuming to be feasible if one could use gas
Gas seems like a different way of working so I dont think I would go that route - its hard enough as it is

Yesterday I was out Hermanus Betty's Bay and there is a guy living in a container with a couple of solar panel and a wind turbine -what a divine life style
anyway
speak soon
Jeannette
Jeannette Unite

Postby windgat on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 am

Hi Jeannette. Three phase... that means almost certainly it is more than 2.5kW. How long do you run the kiln for? As an example, 3 hours at 5kW makes 15kWhours, and on a 24V battery system than means 208A for 3 hours, so at least 1500Amphours of battery power 1t 12V would be needed.

Next question is how often is the kiln used - twice a day, once a week? That would determine the size of the solar panels and wind generator needed to recharge the batteries. Becasue of the economic risks of running out of power half way through a 'baking' it seems like you would need a generator capable of running the kiln as a backup in case the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow.
windgat
Founding member

Postby sullie on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 am

Knowing how to save the Earth, however, is not the same as actually doing it. Although we are gradually beginning to seriously develop alternative energy sources, the reality is that we have a very long way to go. You can choose to help save the environment no matter where you live, because no matter where you are the sun shines and the wind blows.
sullie

Return to General