rotors and magnets

The spinning discs that hold the magnets, and magnet issues

rotors and magnets

Postby Bahati on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:04 pm

I want to built a windpower of 500watt ,how can i get magnets , 2 bearings and the shaft.I am living in east of Demcratic Republic of Congo
Bahati

Re: rotors and magnets

Postby JTECH on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:15 am

See what windgat had to say about ordering magnets elsewhere on this forum (Getting Discount on Magnets)
Axles and bearings will depend on your design and these can usually be obtained from car parts dealers, engineering supply dealers, etc. (bearings). Axle can be turned by someone with a lathe in your area. He will need specific instructions and/or scale drawings of what you require.

Do you have enough wind in the tropics?
JTECH
Contributor

Postby Bahati on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:17 pm

i m on the equador so i m wondering, how can one measure the wind's speed? is there any aparetus to use to do so?
Bahati

Postby windgat on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi Bahati. To measure windspeed accurately
  • find something that can turn easily like a wheel from a toy bicycle or cart
  • find three or four half balls, like the hollow plastic floats from a toilet or water tank cut in half, or the bottoms of plastic bottles
  • fix the cups (half balls) on the rim of the wheel, facing around the rim the same way
  • figure out a way to count the number of times the wheel turns a second - a counter and a watch is one way, and using an electronic bicycle speed counter is another
  • calibrate by driving in a car at various speeds (like 10kmh, 15kmh etc.), and measuring the number of turns a second at that speed
I hope thats clear, and let me know if I can offer more advice.
Good luck!
windgat
Founding member

Return to Rotors and magnets