Need some advise please

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Need some advise please

Postby Jay on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

I built a wind turbine a couple of years ago but the voltage produce was only 11 volts so never did anything with it. tried with only 2 blades and got the rpm up but my furling was not good so the blades ripped off, now I'm thinking of using smoothing capacitors to increase voltage and stop any surges from gusts, my question is this.

Has anyone use capacitors in this way and got results, if so please could you post the schematic of the size of capacitors used and how they were wired. Also would like to know if I should turn the turbine in a down wind type, with out the furling tail.
Attachments
2013-04-23-794s.jpg
Jay

Re: Need some advise please

Postby windgat on Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Jay, looks great! You can't use capacitors alone to increase voltage. You can make a circuit using a coil, a FET, and capacitor, which is called a DC boost converter. Or you can try increase the rpm to get more voltage. Once you get 13.5 voltage you are good to charge a 12V battery.

What generator are you using? Your problem is typically of projects which use a car alternator or other high rpm motor as a generator.

To make it turn downwind, try reversing the blades, and removing the tail - that alone might do it.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Jay on Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Windgat, thanks for your reply.

I did try to increase rpm by only using 2 blades instead of three, it worked too well the centrifugal force tore of one of the blades and it end stuck in a tree.

I'm using a treadmill motor I bought from a friend for 800 bucks, it's rated 8000 rpm and 240vdc I was considering trying to have it rewound but figured boosting voltage cheaper.

Thanks again for advise

Jonathan
Jay

Postby windgat on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Another option for you is to build (or buy) a DC-DC boost converter. This can, for e.g. double the DC voltage, thereby halving the RPM required before the 12V battery starts to charge.

There will be some conversion loss, but these DC converters can be very efficient, i.e. over 90%.
windgat
Founding member

Return to General