Spring loaded varriable pitch hub

The blades of the turbine, and the hub they are attached to

Spring loaded varriable pitch hub

Postby waugh77 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 am

Found some info from Simon Brookes 2005 about a generator in S.W. England. Would like to find more pictures or drawing's of the Hub?? As live in Kansas the winds are varriable (wow) And thought this design would controll speed and load's on system?
Just this week have rounded up a 30ft. steel light pole, 2 perm-mag. 1Hp. motors, 1 big a-- battery and a set of 9 ft blades.
Well on my way, I think? If anyother ideas please let me know. And thanks!
PS. So far got $83.00 invested.
waugh77

Re: Spring loaded varriable pitch hub

Postby windgat on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 am

I have been tempted by variable pitch blades, but the mechanical complexity, difficulty in getting all blades to vary at exactly the same rate, and possible points of failure have put me off. Sorry can't help you with more info about that.
windgat
Founding member

Postby waugh77 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 am

Got a alternative festival this weekend, if I don't find some info soon will jump in and attempt it with what ideas I got. Will keep ya'll posted, and thanks for the reply, more than I've got from other's. Most of them wan'to sell help. Not into giving away to much money.
Will start keeping pictures, ya otter of seen me comming home with the 30 ft. pole in the back of my pickup, sticking out. Sed a prayer that the police were in the coffie shop while I came home, I made it!.
waugh77

Postby basiedp on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:01 pm

I all, just joint this forum. On the spring loaded system, it's not that hard to make. Look for info on steam engines and how
the rev's was controlled by means of a gate valve that controlled the amount off steam that entered the chamber. It consist off two iron balls attached to arms that pivot at the top and has a lever halve way on the arms that then controls any item that you want in this case blade pitch. Think off using a trailer stub shaft to attach the blade to (3 off) these units = 3 blades. Place an offset flat plate on the outer shaft that houses the wheel bearings and in return attach that to your lever. Look for these ideas on wikipedia site, or any vintage steam site. Have fun. Will send pic off this device as soon as I can find the Pic on my PC.
basiedp
Contributor

Postby windgat on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi Basie, welcome! It would be great to see a diagram of that design... :impatient:
windgat
Founding member

Postby basiedp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Windgat, I was looking on my Pc for that pic but collecting info on such a huge subject matter regarding AE I could not find it. I had to take a picture off it stuck on my wall, so excuse the bad image.
Attachments
DSC06383.JPG
basiedp
Contributor

Postby windgat on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:08 am

Ok, I get the basic idea... but how does that translate into turbine blades?
windgat
Founding member

Postby basiedp on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

If you take away the valve in the picture you left with the controller. As the balls move inside the slides the top moves up and down creating movement to control pitch as follows. You have to place something like a pipe with a shaft inside that gets held inplace by taper bearings similar to a stub axle off a trailer that gets fixed to a blade. Now you can turn the blade by means off the stub axle arrangement. Now on the shaft that is fixed to the blade attach a arm off some sort that gets attached to the moving part on the controller. If the speed increases the pitch gets altered by the balls forcing outwards.
A disk has to be fitted to the controller in order to control more that one blade. Hope this makes sense to you.
basiedp
Contributor

Postby windgat on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Sounds interesting - does this only work for a VAWT? It would be great to see a drawing of what you are describing...
windgat
Founding member

Postby chal5oye on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:14 pm

It consist off two iron balls attached to arms that pivot at the top and has a lever halve way on the arms that then controls any item that you want in this case blade pitch. Think off using a trailer stub shaft to attach the blade to (3 off) these units = 3 blades. Place an offset flat plate on the outer shaft that houses the wheel bearings and in return attach that to your lever. Look for these ideas on wikipedia site, or any vintage steam site. Have fun. Will send pic off this device as soon as I can find the Pic on my PC.
chal5oye

Postby windgat on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

Thinking about this, variable pitch is more useful for fixed speed turbines, like the large turbines attached to an AC grid.

For a standalone turbine feeding into a DC system, the rotation speed can vary with wind speed.

Another option is electronic - a variable DC-DC convertor driven by a microprocessor which optimises the DC voltage, and thereby the rotation speed, depedning on the wind speed (which it could detect via the voltage coming from the generator). Another thing on my to do list... :roll:
windgat
Founding member

Postby blackbee0045 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:28 am

It consist off two iron balls attached to arms that pivot at the top and has a lever halve way on the arms that then controls any item that you want in this case blade pitch. Think off using a trailer stub shaft to attach the blade to (3 off) these units = 3 blades. Place an offset flat plate on the outer shaft that houses the wheel bearings and in return attach that to your lever. Look for these ideas on wikipedia site, or any vintage steam site. Have fun. Will send pic off this device as soon as I can find the Pic on my PC.
blackbee0045

Return to Blades and Hub