Electrical cable getting twisted up in knots

Wiring, circuits, batteries etc.

Electrical cable getting twisted up in knots

Postby Boerseun459 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 am

I am posting this question here because it seems impossible to access "Electrics and controls". I get kicked out every time I click on the link and then has to login again. I would like to hear your solutions for preventing damage to the cable, running down the pole from the stator , as the turbine turns on its swivel mounting due to change in wind direction.

Thanx
Boerseun459

Re: Electrical cable getting twisted up in knots

Postby windgat on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 am

Hi, I moved your topic to Electrics and Controls. Not sure why you had problems accessing it - please try again and let me know.

I run the cable down the inside of the pole. Since its 6m long, twisting is not a problem, as long as the turbine doesn't get into a 'spin' around the vertical axis. This will only happen if the vane is far too short or light - otherwise the wind tends to veer (change in a clockwise direction) and back (counterclockwise), which means on average there is not (or very little) twist in the cable.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Boerseun459 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:43 pm

To be on the safe side, I am going to install a "stop end" on the swivel mount to limit rotation to about 355 degrees.
The catch will be to figure out the best placement of the stop end in relation to the most active wind directions for my area.
Boerseun459

Postby windgat on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

It will always jam in the end.

Perhaps slightly better to use a steel cable to limit the number of rotations to say 3 to 5.
windgat
Founding member

Return to Electrics and controls