Magnets

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Magnets

Postby jevan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:44 am

Having recently purchased Hugh Piggots windmill plans,does any one know of a source for magnets in S.A. or is it cheaper to order them online from overseas? Living in the Cape with the Cape Doctor as a free energy supply , are there any other like minded people in the area to share information with?
jevan

Re: Magnets

Postby windgat on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi jevan. I am busy comparing costs for ordering over the net plus shipping vs local suppliers. Often for ordering 100 or more there are significant discounts, so I if you let me know the size (probably about 50x25x12mm?) and I will try and get a few peoples orders together. I am also in Cape Town, so that is easy...

And yes, there are like minded people here! If you would like to have a page on the site describing your progress, please let me know, and we will make a plan, or of course post it here. Look forward to hearing...
windgat
Founding member

Postby jevan on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:34 pm

How's it Windgat,
Looking for 8x 46x30x10 neodymium grade 40 initially,then progressing to 24 if design works!
also trying to source copper winding wire locally any ideas? .Well done Eskom,Yet another load shed in the south this evening
jevan

Postby windgat on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi. Only one place in Western Cape I know that sells winding wire - I think called W.S.T. Its in Paarden Eiland, they sell by the Kilo (NOT length), and are not very friendly to occasional customers - you need to know exactly what you want before going there to their dirty and dingy sales office. I think they mainly deal with large repeat customers, so doubt they give out the best pricing either (you can get an idea of the ethos of the company by the fact the parking just outside is reserved for the pompous senior staff, not customers!)

What size wire are you after, and how much? I may have some left over...

I am finding out about magnets, and will post again soon...
windgat
Founding member

Postby jevan on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:50 am

How's it Windgat?
Looking for 1.4mm wire.(enough to wind 6 coils of 25 turns using 3wires in hand) .thanks for the info will check out this magnet company during the week. Are you constructing wind generators for personal use or do you have a greater plan?
jevan

Postby windgat on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:56 am

Hi jevan. Ok, I have thinner than 1.4mm, sorry. Maybe u want to do a test to make sure it all fits before you buy a lot of copper - the coils can end up surprisingly bulky.

It all started for personal use, but am thinking of getting a list of parts together for sale (now that I have the jigs etc), and also running workshops on how to build your own... maybe also something for schools.
windgat
Founding member

Postby flyfish on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Dear 'the wind is free'

Am really impressed with your site and the info contain, would love to come an visit your turbine. Where abouts can on purchase magnets in Cape Town.

Best regards
flyfish

flyfish

Postby windgat on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi flyfish, thanks! I am thinking of getting some 2x1x0.5 inch epoxy coated N42 grade magnets shipped here. If you want in, let me know, and I will get an extra set or two shipped at the same time. How many would you use?
windgat
Founding member

Postby Derek on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 am

Hi All. Can magnets from the magnetron of a microwave be used, or are they not powerfull enough?? What are the cost of the magnets you guys use??
Derek

Postby windgat on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:47 am

Those are a good choice if you can get them for free, but they are much weaker than the rare earths. You can see some prices here: http://windpower.org.za/products/index.php?cPath=4

Every now and again I try and get together a few people who need magnets and see if we can get a better price. I will probably be getting a batch of 50x20x8mm soon (within the next month).
windgat
Founding member

Postby Greystoke on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:52 am

windgat wrote:Every now and again I try and get together a few people who need magnets and see if we can get a better price. I will probably be getting a batch of 50x20x8mm soon (within the next month).
Are those N42's :?:
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Both N40 and N42 are available. I think the N42 will be about R10 more per magnet.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Greystoke on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:53 pm

I picked-up a (European) price of €5.39 for an N42: 40x20x10, subject to discount for quantity.
What you think :?:
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:10 pm

That's R60 per magnet... not too bad.

Volume is 8000m^3, exactly the same as the 50x20x8, which I can get for about R68 incl. shipping cost.

Have you found out shipping costs? Magnets are restricted goods (think aircraft avionics), and I found that shipping can cost more than the magnets - that is if they are even prepared to ship to SA.
windgat
Founding member

Postby chalnikkal on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Can magnets from the magnetron of a microwave be used, or are they not powerfull enough?? What are the cost of the magnets you guys use???
GuL
chalnikkal

Postby windwize1 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:20 am

Hi chalnikkal, yes you can use those round mags. As someone else said: they are not very powerful and mostly good for toying around. I am also using them now to make a vertical turbine called my `Green Dream II', since the whole turbine is `saved' from the scrapyard: the mags from old microwaves; for the rotor I use 8 x 20 liter oil cans cut in half and stacked 90 degrees (alternating) on a single shaft to make a cute (but not very efficient) savonius rotor; the hub is a water pump from a vehicle; the two steel plates for the alternator are two square 3,2 mm pieces (they need not be round, only balanced); the enamel wire is .8 mm leftovers from previous jobs and the rest is tubing and pipes for the frame and stand. This is just a toy to show people that we are blessed with WIND AND WIND IS POWER TO BE HARNESSED. FOR FREE.
I use ferrites, 75 x 50 x 25 (24 per alternator) on the serious jobs, and having imported many of them, I have to spare should you be interested. They work well.
You can also go to Hugh Piggott's blog where he shows Pedro (from Portugal, where else) building an alternator with microwave mags, stacking them up in 3's to get more power. But honestly, they are just for fun and not worth trying to generate serious power. And as that man Hugh always says: HAVE FUN!!
windwize
windwize1

Return to General