Vertical air turbine

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Vertical air turbine

Postby noll farmer on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi All

I live on a farm and have a huge dam wall next to the house. I have a few single and 3phase squirrel cage electric motors lying on the farm. Want to convert then to vertical wind generators.

At the moment my renewable energy is as follows:
24 x 600AH lead acid batteries
2kw of solar cells
6 KVA 48Volt inverter

Anybody has ideas on how to convert squirrel cage motors to generators????
noll farmer

I am currently building a wind turbine: Yes

Re: Vertical air turbine

Postby windgat on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi there. First thing I would do is check the RPM vs voltage for those motors. Spin them using an electric drill, and somehow measure the RPM, and the output voltage. That will give you an idea of the design, and if you would need to gear up or not.
windgat
Founding member

Postby noll farmer on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Windgat

I have this problem. All my squirrel cage motors use the inrush current to magnetize the rotor. If I energize the rotor using caps and rotate the motor about 100rpm above the normal operating speed it starts to generate. Catch is that operating speed is 1500rpm. Now way that I can gear it to run above 1500 rpm to start to generate.

I was hoping that somebody has changed the squirrel cage rotor with a permanent magnet rotor. Something like milling the rotor down to fit magnets onto the rotor.
noll farmer

I am currently building a wind turbine: Yes

Postby Greystoke on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 am

noll farmer wrote:Anybody has ideas on how to convert squirrel cage motors to generators????
IMO, not feasible. A "squirel" cage motor has a squirel cage rotor, which are shorted loops of copper bar (wire?) These loops line themselves up to the magnetic field induced by the 3-phase electrical supply and because that field moves around, so does the rotor. Sorry if I appear to teach you how to suck eggs.
To turn these things into generators, you would (in theory) turn them inside out. ie: rotate the electro-magnet and keep the squirel cage stationery, but it would generate a very low voltage, due to the lack of windings on the rotor.
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Greystoke! :yay: Welcome back! Been a long silence from you.
windgat
Founding member

Postby Greystoke on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks. Been otherwise occupied. Can't attend to too many things at the same time these days, but . . . I have a renewed interest.
Last edited by Greystoke on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby Greystoke on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:23 am

noil farmer wrote:I was hoping that somebody has changed the squirrel cage rotor with a permanent magnet rotor. Something like milling the rotor down to fit magnets onto the rotor.
I came across this site on the internet:(http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_alternators.html). Perhaps it will help. (see:Induction Motor Conversion Alternators)
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Return to General