Static stator gereration

Winding the coils and making the stator

Static stator gereration

Postby electron on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:48 am

i am snswering the question posed about a static stator in a magnetic field. Sorry but it wont work you need to move the magnetic field with energy in some form to produce an induced electron flow in a conductor!
Sorry but in this universe as far as we know their is nothing for nothing!
electron
Contributor

Re: Static stator gereration

Postby windgat on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi electron. If the magnets move, surely that counts?

I think you are answering about the attempt to shield half the coil to generate DC directly?
windgat
Founding member

Postby electron on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Quite possible i got it wrong has been a long month. You shouldn
There are no problems only solutions!!
electron
Contributor

Postby windgat on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Yes I suspect what i was trying was impossible. Its a nice idea to play with though! How could one arrange magnets, coil and shielding so that one leg of the coils (say the inward/hubward leg) is cut by more magnetic flux than he other leg (say the outward/rimward leg)? If this can be done in anyway, a DC generator (brushless) could be made!

Anther idea which arises now is maybe flaps of light steel that flip as the magnets pass, alternately shielding and exposing parts of the coil... well probably impossible as you say, but hey it cant hurt to think about it.

En groetjies aan jy ook!
windgat
Founding member

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Well if you used pyrolytic graphite you may be able to shield one pole enought to lessen its effect on another. I tried this years ago when i lived in SA as i was trying to make a self perpetuating motor. But the problem is that a magnetic field is in balanced state so no energy really is being used in its formation. So no energy can be tapped out of it in reality. you end up with a balanced locked rotor. :shock:
electron
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:55 pm

Oh yes happy new year to you all
electron
Contributor

Postby windgat on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 am

So, next idea... how about a mechanical system that rotates the magnets as the rotor turns, so that the N pole is facing the one leg of the coil, and then flips so that the S pole faces the opposite lef of the coil? That way DC will be generated directly?
windgat
Founding member

Postby pauldutoit on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 am

I am looking at this site for the first time as I am considering building a wind generator: I have a couple of questions about the design. I have printed off the drawings and the pictures but cannot tell if there are coils on both sides of the stator as there is a rotor on both sides.
What about insulation: Where are all the points that the coils are insulated from such as the holding bolts of the coils, the steel plate on which the coils sit etc.
pauldutoit

Postby windgat on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 am

Hi Paul. The coils are embedded in the stator, with as you say a rotor on both sides. Insulation... the coils are made from insulated wire, and embedded is an epoxy resin (Versamid) specially designed for coils. The resin is an insulator, and the stator mounting bolts go through holes drilled in the resin. The coils do not sit on a steel plate... there is air between the magnets and the coils (and hence there are the magnets between the steel plate and the coils. Hope that answers your questions?
windgat
Founding member

Return to Stators and coils