Noob to homemade but work on GE 1.5 MW Wind Turbines

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Noob to homemade but work on GE 1.5 MW Wind Turbines

Postby Sr-WiNdTeCh on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:41 am

Hey,

I'm new to building my own DIY Wind Turbine, I currently work on GE 1.5 MW wind turbines so I know alot about controls and making power etc... Here's what I want to do... but need some help..

I bought a electric bike front hub motor from golden motor it's 48v brushless 1000watt at around 500 rpm I believe it was (still in the mail)

I'm not sure what to do... vertical or horizontal.... if i go verticlal i will be doing the Lenz II Wing Kit setup but if I go horizontal I'm not sure what to do, I can get some AIR X blades for cheap but was wondering between the two what can i expect for RPM's? with the lenz blades I plan on adding some pvc in the center of the axle to help create torque and to stop air from flowing through to the back blade and slowing it down.

The rest of my components are as followed... let me know if you see a problem..

Xantrex C60 charge controller
Xantrex 3000 watt inverter (i'll go pure sign later on)
2 in series Crown CR-225 Deep Cycle Battery 6 Volt, 225 Amp-Hour

I currently have 18 - 7.4ah i think they are.. sealed lead acid UPS batteries but I doubt they would work good for this...
they are for my http://www.powersource.net/ETI0001-2275_Rugged_Extreme_UPS.htm (witch is for sale) as it uses 72 volts and my system is going to be 12volts.... wish i could use it then i wouldn't have to buy the inverter... if anyone is interested in it let me know.... I have two of them.. I believe they go for 2000$ retail... I'd sell if for little to nothing or even trade.

My main concern is with this motor because the rotor doesn't spin, but the stator spins so that makes it a little bit harder to figure out how to get this to work.
Sr-WiNdTeCh

I am currently building a wind turbine: Yes

Re: Noob to homemade but work on GE 1.5 MW Wind Turbines

Postby windgat on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am

Welcome Noob. So with all yor experience I am sure you are on top of whether the motor will put out AC or DC, and what to do from there.

Horizontal will normally give more RPM, and better mechanical conversion efficiency. Thats why I have focused on HAWTs, and don;t know too much about VAWTs. Your smaller batteries could make a usable bank - nice for testing, and low risk in case something goes wrong.

I am not familiar with the products you mention. One thing... 3000W @ 12V?!?!? Have you calculated how many amps you will be drawing from your batteries? I think you will get the voltage dropping way down, and the inverter shutting down if you try and draw anything near 3000W.

Yes, the mechanics can be complex. Make some drawings, post some photos, and we can all have a look!
windgat
Founding member

Postby Sr-WiNdTeCh on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:26 pm

HI,

Since the post I have changed a lot of things... I have my motor and I chose to go with a HAWT design, I bought AIR X blades(hope they work) also with hand turning my motor I can get 30vdc after my 3phase diode block. Also for now I'm just going with 1-12v 'deep cycle' 125AH battery from sams club. I've also changed my charge controller to a C40 as it can handle higher voltage and I doubt I'll get over 40 amps out of this turbine, still need more testing before I buy the controller. My problem now is how to get the blades attached to the hub motor because the stator spins and the rotor is stationary... it may seem easy but that isn't the case... I'm going to do some testing with a modified sine wave to see if i can somehow clean it up a bit so i don't have to buy a pure sine wave inverter, if anyone has done this it would be great to hear about it. I'm looking at a xantrex 1000watt pure sine wave inverter now $$$$$$....
Sr-WiNdTeCh

Postby windgat on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm

I still think you will regret going 12V one day...

Interesting to have a stat-or that rot-ates and a rot-or that is stat-ionary! Am keen to understand/help, but without pics or diagrams its hard!
windgat
Founding member

Postby Sr-WiNdTeCh on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 am

Image Here is my blade bracket...
Image here is my motor
Image here is my blades...

What do you think...... Once i get the blade brackets made and then test out my turbine I will then decide with the average wind around here and the RPM's i get under load what I will do for a system, but because my turbine puts off 3 phase AC then it's not a big deal because i basically have no voltage loss until i rectify to DC.....
Sr-WiNdTeCh

Postby windgat on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 am

Looks like you've got the hub attachment sorted.

Nice motor! How did you get it/how much did it set you back?
windgat
Founding member

Postby Sr-WiNdTeCh on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 am

Goldenmotor... My brackets should be done by this weekend, I just bought a xantrex C40 charge controller, 50 Bussman DC Breaker, Xantrex Prosine 1800watt inverter..... Now i need to work on how to stop over speed..... any suggestions?
Sr-WiNdTeCh

Postby Sr-WiNdTeCh on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4439/scannedimagea.jpg

here is what my turbine will look like from the side, I will put up a top view soon.. go to the link to zoom into full screen...
Sr-WiNdTeCh

Postby windgat on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 am

I have made a small dump load control circuit. See http://windpower.org.za/electrics/electrics.html
windgat
Founding member

Postby MilagrosKostka on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:57 pm

nice work windgat

I'm thinking of building a turbine for myself !
MilagrosKostka

Postby jboes on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 pm

I know this is a really old post, but would you have any documentation on the GE 1.5?
jboes

Return to General