Alternative Rotor/Stator Design

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Alternative Rotor/Stator Design

Postby cobus on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 am

Hi Guys

Firstly great Forum, didn't expect this much knowledge and wisdom here in SA :mrgreen:

I got a box full of Cylinder Magnets, not Neodymium, the "Normal" stuff. Its just sitting in my Garage and begging to be used. Im not too sure about the strengh, it should be OK as it can still pull the colour out of my Television. :P
Its about 20mm in Diameter, and about 40mm in Length. So I was thinking about an alternative design and I would love to get some feedback on my ideas.

First some images...

I could use either of the designs, in the first I would use 40 Magnets on the Rotor and 36 Stator Coils.
In the second I could use 10 Magnets per Rotor on 4 Rotors and 9 Coils per Stator on 3 Stators.

I would prefer to use the latter as the design would not take up too much space.

Im not hoping for much, somewhere in the 300W Range, @ 24VDC.
I got a nice 3 blade, 5 ft, composite, variable pitch aircraft prop to use ass well. :twisted:
I aim to wire up the rig in 6 or 9 phases.
I would also like to build some controller that will link the some phases in Serial (More V, less A) @ low wind speed & Parallel (More A, less V) in high wind conditions.

Yay or Nay?

Could someone also please comment on the following? I think I'm right, just wanna make sure...
Windings - More windings per coil = Output more V, less A, Less windings = Output less V, more A.
Magnets - Stronger Magnets = Better Output.
Rotor to Stator - The smaller the Air gap, the better the output.
Rotor - Constructed from Aluminium would not affect output.
Stator - Giving each coil a Ferrite core should increase efficiency.

Awaiting your input...
Thanks!
cobus

Re: Alternative Rotor/Stator Design

Postby windgat on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi there. What are your coils wound around? My impression from the drawing that you may want to try and reduce the gape between the magents.

Windings - More windings per coil = Output more V, less A, Less windings = Output less V, more A.

Yes to the V. Sort of yes/no to the A: fewer windings means less resistance, so maybe more current. But less voltage also usually means less current.
Magnets - Stronger Magnets = Better Output.

More volts per RPM - very similar to increasing number of windings.
Rotor to Stator - The smaller the Air gap, the better the output.

Yes, but not as critical as I first thought. In other words don't kill yourself to get 1mm less.
Rotor - Constructed from Aluminium would not affect output.

Bzzzzzrt! Wrong... must be iron based.
Stator - Giving each coil a Ferrite core should increase efficiency.

I have always used air core with rare earth magnets. Maybe Greystoke could comment on this one?
windgat
Founding member

Return to General