Grid sync inverter - please help!

Wiring, circuits, batteries etc.

Would a low cost grid sync'ed inverter be useful to you?

I don't know what it is
11%
Not useful at all
No votes
Quite useful
44%
Very useful - I want one!
44%

Total votes : 9

Grid sync inverter - please help!

Postby windgat on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:15 am

I have been looking for a low cost inverter which can handle about 15Amps, which also syncs to the mains AC power.

This would allow small power sources like solar or wind to be plugged in to a wall socket. Then no extra wiring is needed, and when power is produced it will just reduce the amount drawn from the utility.

Does anyone know of such a product, or is there perhaps a brainy electronic engineer out there who could design a circuit?
windgat
Founding member

Re: Grid sync inverter - please help!

Postby electron on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:47 am

Yes they are commonly avalable her in the UK Problem is local council law does not alow re inversion onto the grid yet! But being able to supliment your power in sync can be used to reduce your bill!
There are no problems only solutions!!
electron
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:47 am

http://www.energyenv.co.uk/Standard_Inverters.asp
electron
Contributor

Postby windgat on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks electron. Problem is those are really expensive, especially in Rand terms. I was hoping to find a circuit diagram to make a low cost one locally...
windgat
Founding member

Postby JTECH on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:53 pm

windgat wrote:Thanks electron. Problem is those are really expensive, especially in Rand terms. I was hoping to find a circuit diagram to make a low cost one locally...

Hi windgat! I am also looking into this possibility and although I am in the electronics "business", I still have to do a lot of research before I can come up with a worthwhile design, so if one can find a reasonably priced item for sale, I will rather buy one! Keep in mind that you will not be able to synchronize and connect to the mains unless your inverter produces a PURE SINE WAVE.
JTECH
Contributor

Postby windgat on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi, yes it needs to be pure sinewave, and from what I have read that means a microprocessor controlled circuit. I have made no progress so far - if your research comes up with anything please keep in touch.
windgat
Founding member

Postby JTECH on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 am

Yes, using a micro controller or micro processor will make things easier. However, there are other more conventional (old?) methods to generate pure sine waves and I think that (for now) this is the avenue I'll explore until I become "converted" to the more modern methods! By hook or by crook, one of my new year's resolutions will be to investigate all possibilities in this regard, old or new!
Anyone else with ideas and/or circuit diagram? :?
JTECH
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes i am using pure sinewave inverter 5 Kw and its very smooth running indeed. Also very little heat buildup as i overrated it especially for that.It is cpu controlled which has made the effieciency very high. it is also IGBT driven and produces a very clean waveform on the scope even under full load. As soon as our stupid laws change here in the UK which is soon then i will be selling my power back onto the grid as well but our by laws are much stricter than in SA. And enforced with heavy fines unfortunatly! So all the excess power generated is at the moment going into my heated floor and the neighbours boiler.lol

I wouldnt even waiste my time with a analouge sytem except its easyer to repair if it blows up! Why dont you take a already established technology in SA three phase inverters from Danfoss! I worked for them for almost 15 years as seniour tech they are 97 percent efficient and will produce 220 volt three phase. they are also the size of a small case so very efficient.
http://www.danfoss.com/South_Africa/Products/Categories/Categories.htm?ProductTypesInCMS=true&segment=MC&ProductTitle=Frequency+Converters&category=58

All you have to do is produce the battery dam and trick the electronics into thinking its on the grid, A simple task really!
electron
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:16 pm

I will dig up a freinds name in SA for you,s to contact most of my freinds are from electronic backgrounds and military electronics backgrounds i will see if they wish to be contacted first then forward details onto you,s. My one good freind in Brackpan has been making inverters for years for the caravan club!
:)
electron
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:19 pm

http://www.energyenv.co.uk/Inverters.asp

electron
Contributor

Postby electron on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:05 pm

This is simple as it gets boet!

http://www.i4at.org/lib2/inverter.htm

Modify is a bit using FET drivers or igbt and it will raise the efiecieny up a lot. then positive feedback circuit to monitor load and voltage and the removal of the passive timing and substitution with a pic using pwm and you willbe on your way to having somthing usable!!!
electron
Contributor

Postby JTECH on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 pm

electron wrote:I will dig up a freinds name in SA for you,s to contact most of my freinds are from electronic backgrounds and military electronics backgrounds i will see if they wish to be contacted first then forward details onto you,s. My one good freind in Brackpan has been making inverters for years for the caravan club!

Thanks! will be on the lookout!
JTECH
Contributor

Postby windgat on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks! I look forward to any further info, and am keen to cooperate with anyone who wants to make one.
windgat
Founding member

Postby neil on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I will be making a grid connect inverter for a 3KW wind turbine and the algorythm will form a basis for a Masters degree. I will have to see what I can help you with but I have to be carfull that the interlectual property of my employer and the university is not comprimised.

Does anyone know who put this site together? I want to ask him some questions.
I think I saw Table mountain in the bacground of a picture with a turbine. I'm taking a wild guess that the turbine is the one I saw on campground road.

I once worked at African Wind Power for 2 months mostly winding generators and machining rotors. If I was you I would use a PIC KIT1 (they are about R120) try EBV electronics or Mantech or Communica. The pic can control the PWM and you can sprinkle some opamps around it on vera board and some power diodes and IGBTS then make a choke - its a fiddely process but doable.
I would learn assenbler if you have never programmed (c on pics is not that good for beginners).
neil

Postby neil on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Here is my number 2F45BBE9 place a leading zero after converting the number back to base 10.
neil

Postby Fritz on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Neil,
I was surfing the web for wind generators and came upon your post about your proposed grid sync inverter.
I would really like to help a friend who stays on a plot without electricity supply and runs a few things via a car battery that he charges from his car.
He won't need a grid sync, but I was hoping that you might have a design for a wind generator.
Can u perhaps help?
Fritz

Return to Electrics and controls