Generator motor sources

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Generator motor sources

Postby nomie on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my toes wet with some wind power generation.
Unfortunately I live in Centurion (Pretoria) so the average wind speed is not great, but every late afternoon when the big thunderstorms roll in I see some huge gusts of wind so I'm really thinking there must be some power to tap from there.

Looking at the price of building a DIY generator (magnets, windings, etc) I assume its cheaper to just buy a permanent magnet motor as generator, especially is you want it up and running quickly?

I tried contacting treadmill agents, as I know you can get some decent sized motors (1.5+hp) in the R1500 range. But as soon as I mention I just want to buy the motor and I do not require a service technician sent out communications suddenly dries up. Sigh.

The other thing I was looking at is maybe something like a quad bike winch? Something like this:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/15811766 ... 00_DC.html

Would that work? I assume winches works at pretty low rpm. If I can't buy the motor seperately I'll just buy the whole thing.

Any other ideas for motor sources?
nomie

Re: Generator motor sources

Postby windgat on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Is there a gear box in there? I'd be interested to know the actual motor RPM (as opposed to the winch rpm).
windgat
Founding member

Postby nomie on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Yes unfortunately the gear ratio is extremely high. 153:1 to be exact. At least it is an integrated gearbox, so the power losses should be lower...

In the meantime I managed to source a new treadmill motor. Just waiting for delivery.

4x4 mega world sell a winch with .8hp motor for R1500.
nomie

Postby windgat on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 pm

That is high. I wonder how well it would work in reverse? My guess it would offer a lot of resistance, and there may be a lot of static friction - i.e. it would need a lot of torque to start it spinning. A worm gear will not work in reverse at all!
windgat
Founding member

Return to General