Smaller Unit

Anything about construction that doesn't fit into any of the above

Smaller Unit

Postby swanie on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:22 am

Dear Windgat

Thanks for a great and informative website..

I have finally decided to build a generator, I live on the west coast of Taiwan and the place is super windy, to the point that a wind generator can blow off the roof. For this reason I decided to build a smaller unit and possibly later duplicating as the result of consistent power comes available. I’m not a big tech guy so I need to read a result and decides where I will go next.

Anyway, I bought myself magnets from a supplier in Taiwan 2x1x1 cm and are using 1mm copper wire (10 windings per coil) and the rest of the design the same as yours.

I’m in the process of winding and assembling and have heard a lot of criticism from the guys in Taiwan with regards to reliability. The think for the lifespan it’s simply better to go for solar power as the units last so much longer (moving parts to non moving parts)

I will first like to hear your opinion of my magnet and copper config and then if you could give me your opinion of the reliability of wind power.

My final idea is to go much smaller with 1000 very small units with a different type of propeller where the units can be one fixed block and wont turn to the wind but rather turn when the wind blow from any direction.

Kind regard
Piet (Swanie)
swanie

Re: Smaller Unit

Postby windgat on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 am

Hello, and welcome Piet.

What voltage do you intend to get from the generator? How far apart will the magnets be? You are using very small magnets and very few coil winds, which means you will need to get a high RPM to get a reasonable voltage.Normally that means shorter blades, otherwise the tip speed gets too high. I think you will struggle to get 12V from the configuration you have described. You could combine 2 or even 4 of those magnets together to make a stronger magnet at each position.

My unit has been reliable even in the high winds here. Its obviously important to mount it very securely, and make sure the blades are very strong. It can be surprising the amount of force, especially at the end of a long pole, so I would suggest making everything thicker and stronger than you think necessary at first!

The ideal is probably a combination of wind and solar. If the wind is not blowing, there is nothing the wind turbine can do!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
windgat
Founding member

Postby swanie on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:07 am

Hi

Thank you very much for your advice and help!!

I intend to charge a 12v battery. My intention is only to provide power for a few LED lights. My magnets inside point touch each other.

My idea grew from one simple question to myself while I visited CT. “if people are educated poverty decreases, how do I provide a light at night for every single poor kid in South Africa to better the education opportunity”.

I live in Taiwan and have access to the latest development in LED lights, the magnet factory is around the corner from my house (they can make any shape I need but I first need to get this one unit to work).

As I said, I’m not an engineer so I simply decided to go as small as possible and decided that 12 magnets tight next to each other will be a relatively small charger. The blades should be short and stocky for big speed. I can increase the copper windings or the wire thickness but I don’t want to sacrifice space.

Oh let me add, I’m a windsurfer and sail consistent in 40 knots, my sails and masts don’t last to long so I’m forever concerned about the strength of my babe charger.

Regards
Piet
swanie

Postby windgat on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Piet. I meant, what is the gap between the faces of the magnets, ie. how much 'air gap' (actually partly filled by the coils) is there between the rotors?

Intuitively I still think 10 winds per coil is on the low side... buy only experimentation will tell!

You are very lucky to have an LED factory around the corner! Maybe we can make an arrangement for you to post some to us here someday...
windgat
Founding member

Postby naveed01 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm

A DC motor which for e.g. does 3000rpm at 24V, if turned at 500rpm will make about 4V. Gearboxes (or pulleys) are a bit of a pain to make, and also lose a lot of energy. The gearboxes on large turbines is apparently the most technically challenging component, the most expensive, and requires the most maintenance.
naveed01

Return to General