PVC Blades

The blades of the turbine, and the hub they are attached to

PVC Blades

Postby chadley on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi There,
I need a bit of help with designing my PVC blades. I thought a 110mm PVC pipe would give me a good pitch, but as you will probably see in the designs attached, the pitch looks very unlikely to work. I think the arch is way to deep.

To the experts I would like to know if the blades in my plans have a glimmer of hope :)

To others who have sucessfully created PVC blades, please would you share some info on how you made them. I will gladly draw plans for them and post back to the forum.
Attachments
TurbinePlan_Blade_PVC.pdf
Basic design for now REV1
Top blade is almost a straight edge. Bottom blade is just to see what it would looke with a curve. Will add tech info on the curve at later stage.
(35.54 KB) Downloaded 787 times
chadley

Re: PVC Blades

Postby windgat on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Great! Is that a flat sheet that you wrap around the pipe to get the actual cut lines?
windgat
Founding member

Postby chadley on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am

Sorry for such a long wait for answers, in my quest I have dug into other topics and got side tracked.
No this will not be a wrap around, but I never thought of doing the plans that way.... great Idea, I will reply once I get my PVC pipe.

Yes PVC is cheaper plast and does not weather well. What you can do is paint it with an engine enamel. This will give it a good chance against the elements.

This will take a while for me as I only get a chance on every second weekend to play around with my own projects. My wife owns me every other weekend. :)
chadley

Postby danielxavier on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:13 am

Hi chadley..

I have used 180mm pipes, and the curve have been ~ 150 degrees, equivalent to around 9 inches (23cm) it
i too -- have green energy! http://www.meets.dk
danielxavier

Postby windgat on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 pm

The blade calculator (on the main site) might be useful for you to see the attack angle you want at each point along the blade. Then you can work out what % of the circumference of a circle (the size fo the pipe) would approximate that, and draw a flat plan, wrap around the pipe, and cut on the lines.
windgat
Founding member

Postby blackbee045 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:00 am

Sorry for such a long wait for answers, in my quest I have dug into other topics and got side tracked.
No this will not be a wrap around, but I never thought of doing the plans that way.... great Idea, I will reply once I get my PVC pipe.
blackbee045

Return to Blades and Hub