where to get magnets in gauteng!

The spinning discs that hold the magnets, and magnet issues

where to get magnets in gauteng!

Postby mkhu on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 am

hi guy! Im a newbe in this forum, i just want to know where to get strong magnets in gauteng area, im in krugersdorp. :)
mkhu

Re: where to get magnets in gauteng!

Postby windwize1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi mkhu, or anyone looking for magnets: I use ferrites, 75 x 50 x 25 in my turbines and have plenty to spare. I am near Pretoria. Windwize 1.
windwize1

Re: where to get magnets in gauteng!

Postby windwize1 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Gentleman, may I comment on a general observation please: I notice that most guys wanting to work with wind turbines are clamoring for rare earth / neodymium magnets, mainly because they not only shine nicely, they are extremely strong (lets face it). Are all aware that they do have some negative attributes as well? Now, according to the experts overseas, neo's cost about 10 times the price of ferrites, but deliver only about 2 to 3 times more power in a turbine. Secondly, they are rather sensitive to heat: should they heat up above 80 deg C , they start losing flux, where as your trusted old ferrites can handle up to 200 deg C without losing strength. In my case: 3 days before buying the first 24 neo's for my first turbine[for about R4000 at that stage], I thankfully read an email that Hugh Piggott wrote a guy on Backshed in Australia, suggesting to him to use ferrites instead of neo's, albeit large ferrite magnets. So I bought 24 ferrites, 75 x 50 x 25 and never looked back. That email saved me R2800 as well. Lastly, I do not cast the magnets in resin on the rotors, which not only saves money on resin, but acts like a fan to cool both mags and stator. Like they say in the streets: works like a charm! By the way, has anyone using this lekker site ever built a turbine generating between 500 and 1000watts?
windwize1

Return to Rotors and magnets