Coil Winding

Winding the coils and making the stator

Coil Winding

Postby apicella on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Does it matter what direction one winds the coils clockwise or anti clock as long as they all wound the same direction.
apicella
Contributor

Re: Coil Winding

Postby windgat on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:28 pm

It will produce AC current, so any direction is fine, as long as all the same way. Its best to clearly mark the start/end (or inside/outside) legs of the coils so that its easy to check when you lay them out for casting.
windgat
Founding member

Postby nitin poonam on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:13 pm

apicella wrote:Does it matter what direction one winds the coils clockwise or anti clock as long as they all wound the same direction.

HI IAM nitin purander from india delhi. i had built an wind turbin 1kw. in three weeks. now i want to built 2&5 kw wind turbine now i have problam in sator&rotar give me perfet plain to make
nitin poonam

Postby Derek on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 am

I need to wind coils for a 24 to 48 volt system. I have lots of 1mm as well as 3mm copper wire. What are the formula's I will need?? Also what size should they be. Thanks.
Derek

Postby Greystoke on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:04 pm

I need to know the current output @ 24V and 48V, otherwise I can't work-out your wiresize. I think 1mm will be enough, but let's work it out properly.
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Are you using permanent magnets? Then the size and grade will also affect the answer.
windgat
Founding member

Postby windgat on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Are you using permanent magnets? Then the size, gap and grade will also affect the answer.
windgat
Founding member

Postby nvisser on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi Windgat
From the photos it looks like you use aircores
Is it true that air cores does not create any drag even if drawing i lot of current?
Do you also use one more magnet than coils to minimise drag?
nvisser

Postby Greystoke on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:54 am

The current, induced in the coil, creates its own magnetic field which opposes the original field, acting like a brake on the turbine (drag). This happens irrespective of the type of core (air core or not).
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm

With air cores, there is no 'cogging', which is maybe what you read/heard. That means if there is no load, there is no resistance, but as Greystoke says, when you draw current there is resistance. If not, you would have made a 'free energy' machine! (See the 'Free energy' section for more points of view on that!).
windgat
Founding member

Postby nvisser on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 pm

Did any of you ever tried a paralel resonance capasitor?
nvisser

Postby Greystoke on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am

A parallel capacitor would turn the coil into a bandpass circuit. Signals outside the band will be attenuated. :?:
Regards
Cor
Greystoke
Hyper active member

Postby windgat on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:29 am

Where would you put this capacitor (before/after the rectifiers), and what would be the aim?
windgat
Founding member

Postby nvisser on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Sorry ,it will not work on a wind generator. You will need a certain speed to choose your cap for resonance and windspeed varies all the time.
I remember that I read somewhere that they also use it on wind generators -Not sure where
Here are some examples on how they use it. At parralel resonance the generated sine wave are much larger in amplitude- higher ac voltage
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Rotoverter
http://wondermagnet.com/other/gentest.html
nvisser

Postby windgat on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 am

So higher voltage, but still the same power, right?
I followed those links, but couldn't find anything about resonance capactitors and wind generators...
windgat
Founding member

Postby Windguru on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 am

Greetings

I am to use a rare earth 46X30X10 magnet that is 42000 grous. My coils 9off should be how many winds, thickness of wire etc. My rotor will be 300mm OD.

Comments please

Many thanks
Windguru

Postby windgat on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 am

Not sure how to convert that to grade - I usually work with the range grade N35 to N42.

My impression is that those magnets are overkill for such a small rotor. They will cause so much resistance that the blades will not be able to work optimally. On the other hand I am assuming you are working at 24V. At higher voltages it may work better. So first thing to tell us is what output voltage to you plan to work at?
windgat
Founding member

Postby Windguru on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:33 am

The magnet grade is N42

Thanks
Windguru

Postby windgat on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Ok - that is strong. You didn't answer about the voltage... then I can base an answer on the graph at http://windpower.org.za/benchtests.html
windgat
Founding member

Postby Windguru on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:15 am

Sorry my bud but I am new to this game. These magnets are available to me at relative cost. I need direction from here on. Volyage can be 24 volts if it is going to charge that way. Drawing off 12volts should not be a problem surely? In other words I load them up 24v and draw off 12v.

I want to build one and use it on our farm at the Orange / Caledon River where we still have a large labour force who consume power as if it is free. The lighting requirements there could reduce the grind cost if wind power is available. We have ample wind year round.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanx

Wayne
Windguru

Postby windgat on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 am

Ok... maybe I was thrown off by the guru in yr login name! :)

Huge damage to lead acid batteries by charging at double rated voltage. Also, how could you then draw at 12V while charging (i.e. while the wind is blowing)? The battery bank voltage is usually the same as what you plan the generator to make (within a few volts), unless you have an electronic circuit to convert voltages,

I think I misunderstood earlier re the blade size (you were talking rotor disk size, right?). How long do you plan the blades to be? Do you have any idea of an average wind speed at the site? Or an idea of how much power you want to generate in that wind? Give me something to work from...
windgat
Founding member

Postby Windguru on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:14 am

I used windguru as I go to that site to check the weather as I am an avid angler. I am no knowledgeable electrical guy. I do engineering as a profession so I thought I could fill in the electrical needs through some help and perhaps return the compliments the other way. Anyway I have studied plans and sourced magnets. The coils size bothers me as I dont know what size and the winding. To get say the correct power that I must load. The wind does the usual and blow most of the time but not gale force. The rotor was planned around od 300mm and the stator to suite. Nine coils (three coils per phase) and twelve magnets per rotor.

The blade size will be adapted to power the rotor. That won't be to difficult. I'll play around once I have bench tested and know what I get at what speed.

Some direction
Windguru

Postby windgat on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:04 am

I have used between 50 and 88 turns per coil for 1mm wire. More turns = more voltage per RPM, so it all depends on the voltage you plan to draw, and the blade size. 88 is very hard to make fit - I wouldn't go for more than 75 turns with 1mm wire.

Its not too expensive to make a stator, so maybe take a guess in that range (maybe 60 turns?) and see how it works. You probably want to make a second stator anyway once your winding skills are practiced.

Have you looked at the Bench testing page of the website? That shows some graphs of voltage vs RPM for various configurations.
windgat
Founding member

Return to Stators and coils